Friday, February 24, 2012

Featured Artist Friday - Kathy Alderman

This week I am introducing Kathy McCracken Alderman of  Burlington, NC. Kathy is a versatile artist creating in several media: painting, photography, silver wind chimes, whimsical totems and yard art. She has always appreciated art, but like so many women, Kathy focused her creative energies on raising her family. Once her children were grown she had a bit more time to explore her art.

A self-proclaimed "late bloomer," Kathy is enjoying her artistic endeavors. She explains, "By now most people have found their niche and settled down. Not me, not yet anyway. I'm still exploring and just having fun with the different media available to me. So far the paintings I have created have been using oils, acrylics, and pastels."

Her photography started as a way to remember the activities of her children and family and to capture the beauty of nature to use as reference for her paintings. She says, "The rolling hills and natural creeks of rural Caswell County provide beautiful vignettes for my lens. Whether here at home, along the coast, or by the banks of the White Oak River, 'Mother Nature' never fails to inspire me." While she initially took photographs as inspiration for her paintings, she has found that people want to buy them before she even gets a chance to paint the images.



Either way, I think her landscapes are quite beautiful! I love that they have a softness about them, yet a rich use of color. They have a peaceful quality that I can just get lost in. They remind me of home.



And this piece...LOVE it! I have a thing for tree people. I love how these just seem to float, juxtaposed with the high energy yellow background. Just dreamy!











Kathy has also been playing with antique silver, crystals, glass and acrylic beads to design beautiful wind chimes. She has had requests to use silver from families to create unique gifts that can be passed down through the generations, and she also has quite a collection on her own to choose from as well.


In addition to her silver assemblages, Kathy also creates whimsical totems and yard art.

She has work in several galleries including:
Burlington Artists League Gallery, Burlington, NC
Focal Point Gallery, Chapel Hill, NC
HollyHocks, Mebane, NC
Flying Dove Studios, Burlington, NC
Point of View Gallery, Burlington, NC
Alderman's Repair, Burlington, NC


She is a member of the Alamance Artisans Guild and a pending member of the Cosmic Cow Society. Kathy can be reached at Aquaheart@bellsouth.net

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What A Beautiful Posting, Background Reportings, Paintings, Chimes & All The Other Inspirational Ideas She Has Come Up With !!! What An Imagination Is
Buried Inside Her Beautiful Soul To
Share With The World!!! Kathy, We Wish Such Talented People Like You The Best Of Everything... See You
At The Top, Your Work Is GREAT !!!
Sincerely & God Bless You Always!!!

Tara Teague Davis said...

Kathy, I know you remember me, I grew up with your daughter. I just wanted to say that your art is beautiful!!! It's very inspirational, and it shows the great person you are. Miss you, your work is awesome!!

Tara Teague Davis