Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Matters

The coolest thing happened to me today.

I was on day two of measuring an ENORMOUS warehouse. Big, mostly unheated space. The kind you can't see from one end to the other. Three wings like that. Nostalgic space with old wooden floors and really high ceilings that was once home to a textile manufacturer. Row after row of columns and stacks of pallets creating mazes that you could get lost in. Not at all a "glamorous" interior design job...just field measuring to create floor plans for the property management company. I like those kind of jobs sprinkled in...they are quiet and solitary pursuits...kind of reflective time in a way. And I adore old, old buildings...

Anyway, the point is, it was mostly unheated space. And it's winter. Actual winter, which around here only happens for a few days here and there. Which meant it was COLD. Especially the part I was in today, and of course, I left my gloves in the car...or at home. I'm not sure where they are. I was layered up and two days ago when I was there I really didn't get that cold. In fact, I didn't even wear my coat then. But today...brrrrr. Had the coat on and my hands were pretty icy.

Well, I was measuring along and got to a dark part. I didn't know where to access the light switches, so my client came up to remedy that. We shook hands and chatted for a few minutes and then he went back to his office and I went about my measuring. I had worked my way to the far end of the space when I heard footsteps...then the door opening...

Admittedly, it freaked me out a little. I was in this canyon of a space...alone...just me and my tape measures and the pallets.......and the ghosts of textile workers past....

But then in walked my client holding out a brand new pair of gloves!

He had gone down the street and done that just for me. The simplest act of kindness that totally made my day!

Pretty cool, huh?

I often wonder what little things I've done along the way that has made someone's day...things that were no big deal to me, and maybe weren't even intentional, but that left an imprint on someone else's life. I hope I've done that more often than not. I think that's what really matters in this life.

Like fuzzy gloves on a cold day...

1 comment:

Salem Stitcher said...

What a great story. What a thoughtful client!

And yes, you've done many things for me that matter a great deal.