Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010
I'm pleased to announce that she will be carrying my work!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Anyway, we had a blast sledding and watching the dogs romp about. We took a walk under the full moon which lit up the night, casting shadows of the trees. The boys even enjoyed an outdoor breakfast of hot cinnamon rolls and cocoa. And then...
I'll admit, when I first saw that technique in Quilting Arts I didn't give it much thought. Looked fun, but at the time it was published snow was not a consideration here. However, being inspired by those on the QA list who had tried it, I thought I might as well take advantage of this rare appearance here. And it was FUN!
I pre-soaked my scoured fabric in soda ash solution, then bunched it up in dishpan tubs, about a yard per tub. While the fabric was soaking I prepared my dyes (Procion). I like to use squirt bottles which I get at my local beauty supply store. Then I scooped up snow from the driveway, covering the fabric almost to the rim of the tubs and squirted the dye across the snow.
(I'm sure my neighbors were wondering...though they should be used to my driveway productions by now - rust dyeing, painting giant Hokie birds...)
I let it sit in the garage for a while, then moved it inside the studio so it could start melting...Here it is all melted...pretty! I let it sit overnight to batch then did the rinse, repeat, and hot water / Synthrapol wash and....