Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sew Day!

Last Saturday the gals of Miss Bee Haven got together for a fun day of creating in the barn. Nane, our fearless bee leader, has the most awesome studio space in the upper level of her newly built barn, next to their historic log cabin in the woods. It's so peaceful there!

We worked most of the day on the string block quilts that are being made for the Neuro trauma unit at one of our local hospitals. String blocks are so addicting! There were 5 of us piecing and 2 tearing the paper foundations away, and at the end of the day we had one top ready for borders (go MR!), enough blocks for 4 more tops, and extra blocks going to start a fifth. This unit at the hospital has 10 beds, so we are well on our way to providing them with enough comfort quilts to go around.



 Also known as the "Troll Sisters" (you had to be there...it's a funny story how that name came to be), we each have a troll to watch over us as we create.  Mine, of course, has lime green hair :)  Bonnie found a bunch of these trolls on one of her many trips...we missed having her with us this time, as she was on a whirlwind of a tour across the country teaching.


Here our mascot for the day, Zorro Kitty, inspects MR's quit top. He approved it, 2 paws up. I love how these block go together. You can use any fabric anywhere, and with a common color used in the middle of the block you end up with a fabulous result! Bright, colorful...just the thing to bring some cheer to the patients who will receive them!
--------------------------------------------------------------
PS.  All of the quilts will be washed before they go to the hospital! :)

3 comments:

Nane said...

We did get a lot done, and I will make sure we wash them before delivering to the hospital so all traces of Zorro are gone!

Salem Stitcher said...

I hate I missed it. I need a sew day soon!

(Oh wait...every day is a sew day now!!!)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have to laugh when I see that one photo with me talking...

Please, next time, let me know when you're taking candid shots and I'll close my mouth first!

Didn't we have fun? I forgot my troll, darn!